Teams comprised of two members each will use various devices to make numerous
measurements expressing their answers in metric units.
Number of Participants / Approximate Time
Up to 2 students / 45 minutes
1. Each team of two students will move from station to station. Each station
will contain the equipment and materials needed to make a measurement
or measurments or a set of questions. Students may be quizzed on the various
units of the metric system and the conversion among prefixes (100,000
centimeters equals 1 kilometer, for example).
2. All measurements will be made and recorded in metric units. Students
are expected to record all digits known with certainty and one estimated
digit. Simple calculations may be necessary to determine the answers at
3. Teams will have a limited amount of time at each station (average of
2 minutes). Students must move at the indicated time to ensure that all
teams have an equal opportunity to use the equipment at each location.
4. An answer sheet will be provided for each team to record their answers.
5. Non-programmable calculators may be used but will not be provided.
Calculators which make conversions between units are prohibited. Teams
in possession of this type of calculator, whether they are aware of the
function or not, are subject to disqualification.
The scoring of the event will be based on the number of correct responses.
Ties will be broken with the most correct responses on pre-determined