This event tests students' abilities to build a lengthy, strong, and stable
bridge from common materials
Number of Participants / Approximate Time
Up to 2 / 45 minutes
1. Students will be supplied with a variety of common materials such as
paper, tape, straws, pins, string, etc. at the Olympiad site. Teams are
to construct a suspension bridge that spans the greatest possible distance
and be able to support at least one chalkboard eraser.
2. Teams will have 20 minutes to construct their bridge. Materials may
be altered in any way. A pair of scissors will be provided for use during
the construction period but may not be used in the bridge's structure
or as an anchor.
3. The bridge will be suspended on two similar supporting structures such
as chairs or desks. All teams will have access to the official set of
supports to view and measure during the construction period.
4. Under the direction of event supervisors, students will place one chalkboard
eraser at the center and at a right angle to their bridge. The bridge
must support the eraser for 10 seconds to be judged. Bridges failing this
test will be disqualified. The eraser will be removed from the bridge
5. No part of the bridge may touch the floor during judging or measurement.
The bridge may touch the supporting structures only at its point of support.
No additional bridge supports may touch the stationary objects. The bridge
may not be attached to the stationary objects with tape or in any other
The bridge spanning the greatest distance supporting the eraser for 10
seconds will be declared the winner. In case of a tie, additional erasers
will be added until the strongest bridge is determined.